Who decides what works and what doesn’t? Customers, right? You launch your app to connect with your customers on their mobile so that they can interact with you or do business with you in real time whenever they want to and wherever they want to. Then you engage users with different offers, alerts, promotions and other updates using push notifications so that they keep coming back on your app—you also track user activity and engagement log so as to check how many users actually opened the app because of the alerts you sent so you can plan your next marketing plan accordingly. To increase conversions you go for the hit and trial formula where you send out the same notifications with different designs, content and CTAs on different days to see which of them had most conversions. Now, let’s say you are launching a campaign tomorrow, or let’s say your app got mentioned on a popular web portal and you are getting huge traffic, do you have the luxury of testing different notifications on different days?
Announcing A/B & Multivariate Testing in Push Notifications in App42 MA—our comprehensive actionable analytics that lets you deploy push, email, survey, coupon and in-app referral campaigns—using which you can test and analyze multiple version of different notifications in real time. Because marketing decisions have to be taken quickly lest there is a loss of important occasion or opportunity, A/B testing allows you to do experiments in Push Notifications by changing as many variables as you want. You can then track open and conversion rates to decide which variant works best so that you can continue with the same.
How exactly can A/B & Multivariate Testing help you?
- Test multiple variants of a particular push notification in a situation where you are unsure of the type of push that will work
- Explore and experiment as much as you desire by changing copy of your message, CTA linking, colors & text and even sounds & badges
- Target different locations and create different geo-fences across the world to test among multiple push notifications
- Let your imagination run wild, play with as many whacky options as you like
How exactly can you perform A/B & Multivariate Testing in App42 MA?
The only time consuming task here is to strategize your push campaign. As an app marketer, it is very important for you that focus is on app insights, user insights and the content of your campaign. Let’s be honest: there are so many push notifications that we receive in a day that it is actually impossible to act on all of them—only those that we categorize as relevant and tempting are acted upon. A smart campaign not only gives the users a sense that you care for them but also makes them prone to not ignoring your push messages.
Let’s get started, login to AppHQ to choose App42 MA in the products and move over to campaigns to select Push. If you haven’t created an account yet, click here to register. Create a campaign by entering your details and description:
Suppose there is a segment of your e-commerce users that has not checked out their cart for more than 15 days.
Now, if you would like to see if your push notification actually makes these users check out, you may deploy three variants of your campaign with different messages like:
If I were you, I would only target up to 10% in each variant of these users so that I can deploy the final campaign with ease and aplomb.
Analytics will clearly tell you which variant you should ideally go ahead with in your campaign.
In addition, here are some best practices you can follow to use A/B Testing effectively:
- Always segment users based on their demographics, app settings, behavior and recent activities
- Automating push notifications is a good idea so that a notification is sent whenever a user does specific activities
- Plan different copies of each push well in advance so as to not get mixed up while creating a campaign
- Be prepared to face a failed A/B Test campaign, a situation may arise that none of the variants you deploy give you the desired results. But that does not mean that you should cancel your campaign after all. It is an opportunity to reflect upon your strategy and workout a better plan before the date of the campaign
- Analytics help accentuate your app’s growth—use them wisely to take better and well strategized actions before each campaign
- Do not overkill A/B Testing by using it before each and every campaign as it requires a little time to get up and running and there is a high chance you will end up getting confused with too many variants of notifications every time
All in all, remember—mastering push notifications takes time and patience. Rome wasn’t built in a day 🙂
Contact us at email@example.com if you want us to show you A/B Testing in action or give you a demo of how you can do so much from creating amazing apps to boosting user acquisition, engagement, retention and conversion with ShepHertz App42 Platform. Our customer success team will be happy to give you a concise walkthrough.